Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why Heart Rate Based Training?

In my previous articles, i shared with you the features of a heart rate monitor.

"Why do we need it? I run 1 hour in my gym. I am sure its effective . I don't have to buy the heart rate monitor? Waste my money only lar" as you may say...

It a good investment for those who wants to improve their performance . For me, I want to improve my endurance & stamina & strength each time i hit my gym. It also shorten my time of exercise because i know exactly how hard i have to push my workout each time.

After my second pregnancy recently, I had to shed 25 kg in order for me to get back to my previous shape. This monitor helps me to shed 20kg in 5 months time (duration: 4 hours a week.) (Heart rate at 65-75% 2 hours & 75-92% 2 hours)Whew!
As age catching up, my metabolism rate is much slower than my 1st post pregnancy. Nevertheless, Set your goal and be determined. 5 kg to go and i am going to start my strength training soon.

How does it work?

Target zone Very Light
Intensity% of HR (max) bpm : 50-60% (eg 104-114)
Training benefit : Warm up & Cool down

Light
: 60-70% (eg 114-133)
: improves general base fitness, improves recovery
& boost metabolism

Moderate
: 70-80% (eg 133-152)
: Enhances training pace, makes moderate intensity
efforts easier & improves efficiency

Hard
: 80-90% (eg 152-171)
Increased ability to sustain high speed endurance

Maximum
: 90-100% (eg 171-190) Less than 5 mins please.
Only for very fit & experience runners.

Please note: HR(max)=Maximum heart rate (220-age)
Example : for 30 years old, 220-30 = 190bpm


If your heart rate is around 65-75% , you are burning fat. However you have to workout longer eg 1 hour at least to be effective.

If your heart rate is around 75- 85%, then you are burning more carbohydrate ( food that you eat last night or your breakfast). You will be burning less fat although your calories burned may shows more.

If your heart rate is more than 85% , basically you are burning carbohydrate.

In terms of losing weight and to keep it off , work your heart rate between 65- 80% tops. But for me , i like to mix it up. One day, low intensity, another day high.

As for marathon runners, they usually keep their heart rate low so they will more energy to finish the race. You can see why they are so lean.... they burned fat.

The purpose of exercising is not only about losing weight, its about training your heart to be stronger and live longer. SO ...Watch your heart rate when you work out next time.

No comments: